The Legislative Council of the island passed Ordinance No 13 on
17th December 1846, fixing, inter alia, the rate of internal postage
at 2d. per half-ounce for country letters and 1d. per ounce for local
town delivery. Most of the new regulations came into force on New Year's
Day 1847. Article 9 of the Ordinance is particularly intereting
because it foreshadowed the use of postage stamps.
Every letter, newspaper or packet of any kind liable to postage under
this Ordinance, if posted within the colony and its dependencies, and
having a stamp or stamps affixed thereto and appearing on the outside
- such stamps being provided by the Government - and being of the value
or amount required in each case according to the preceding tariff, and
not having been used before, shall pass by the post free of postage.